The Wheeling Wheelmen Bicycle Club - founded by Phyllis Harmon, had its first meeting on April 26, 1970 with over 100 members in attendance. Since that time, the club has grown to almost 300 men and women serving the Northwest Chicagoland area with organized rides, social outings, informative meetings, bicycle advocacy, and a lot of friendship.
Let's Go for a Ride! - Club rides are a good way to improve your bicycling knowledge, skills and fitness. They provide fun and camaraderie with greater visibility and safety on the road. Click here for more information about club rides.
Social Activities - We have club meetings on the first Thursday of designated months where we often host programs to enhance our cycling knowledge. In addition, our members get together for an annual club picnic, banquet and holiday party. Throughout the winter we stay active with mountain biking, Cross Country skiing and hiking.
You don't have to be a member to try a club ride or attend a club meeting. Check out the Club Rides or Club Meetings links and come out and join us. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to Contact Us or check us on Facebook (see link in header).
Below are some published articles that help describe what we are all about:
- History of theWheeling Wheelmen and the Harmon Hundred from Chicago Athlete, September 2002
- The Wheelmen from the Daily Herald, July 1998
- Local Bicycling Club Gives Something Back to the Community
We are honored to have as our club founder, Phyllis Harmon, who single-handedly nurtured America's national bicycle organization, the League of American Bicyclists.
Additional information about Phyllis Harmon's contribution to our country's bicycling culture can be found in the articles below:
- Club Founder Phyllis Harmon from League of American Bicyclists, Summer 2003
- Phyllis Harmon selected as one of 25 most influential people in American bicycling, Fall of 2005
- Phyllis Harmon inducted into U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame, November 2009
- A Chat with the grande dame of Chicago bicycling
- Women's Bike History - Phyllis Harmon, September 2013
- Village of Wheeling to Dedicate Phyllis Harmon Path, September 2013